Dental and Medical Problems
2019, vol. 56, nr 1, January-March, p. 105–110
Publication type: clinical case
Treatment of the facial basal cell carcinoma with the use of photodynamic therapy: A case report
Leczenie ogniska raka podstawnokomórkowego skóry twarzy z użyciem terapii fotodynamicznej – opis przypadku
1 Department of Oral Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, Wrocław Medical University, Poland
2 Academic Dental Polyclinic in Wrocław, Poland
Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the most common skin cancer. It accounts for approx. 80% of human skin cancers and belongs to the group of non-melanoma skin cancers (NMSC). The highest incidence of this cancer is visible in older people, over 65 years of age. Photodynamic therapy (PDT) is a clinically approved method with a selective cytotoxic activity. It is used in the treatment of superficial forms of BCC, precancerous conditions (hyperkeratosis, actinic keratosis) and non-cancerous diseases (acne vulgaris, infection with herpes simplex virus – HSV, leukoplakia, lichen planus). The aim of the study was to apply PDT to a patient with a clinical diagnosis and histopathologically confirmed BCC. The patient, male, aged 82, reported to the Department of Oral Surgery at Wroclaw Medical University with BCC of dimensions 0.5 × 1.5 cm, present for 13 years in the area of the right mandibular angle, after previous surgical treatment. Photodynamic diagnosis (PDD) and PDT were employed using a semiconductor laser. 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) was used as a photosensitizer. The PDD and PDT procedures were applied at 2-week intervals for 3 months. Control visits after 3, 6 and 12 months did not show local recurrence. Photodynamic therapy is a highly useful, independent method of treating superficial forms of BCC.
basal cell carcinoma, photodynamic therapy, photodynamic diagnosis, aminolevulinic acid
rak podstawnokomórkowy, terapia fotodynamiczna, diagnostyka fotodynamiczna, kwas aminolewulinowy
- Nejc D, Piekarski J, Pasz-Walczak G, Jeziorski A. Basal cell carcinoma of the skin – the young age of the patients causes diagnostic doubts [in Polish]. Onkol Pol. 2002;5(3–4):179–181.
- Yaghoobi R, Ranjbari N, Pazyar N, Foroozan M, Feily A. Basal cell carcinoma of vermilion mucosa of upper lip: A rare case report. Acta Med Indones. 2017;49(3):255–258.
- Loh T, Rubin AG, Brian Jiang SI. Management of mucosal basal cell carcinoma of the lip: An update and comprehensive review of the literature. Dermatol Surg. 2016;42(12):1313–1319.
- Snow SN, Sahl W, Lo JS, et al. Metastatic basal cell carcinoma. Report of five cases. Cancer. 1994;73(2):328–335.
- Pabiańczyk R, Cieślik K, Tuleja T. Management methods of basal cell carcinoma [in Polish]. Chir Pol. 2011;13(1):48–58.
- Taub AF. A comparison of intense pulsed light, combination radiofrequency and intense pulsed light, and blue light in photodynamic therapy for acne vulgaris. J Drugs Dermatol. 2007;6(10):1010–1016.
- Tao JN, Duan SM, Li J. Experimental studies on treatment of HSV infections with photodynamic therapy using 5-aminolevulinic acid [in Chinese]. Zhonghua Shi Yan He Lin Chuang Bing Du Xue Za Zhi. 2007;21(1):79–82.
- Chen HM, Yu CH, Tu PC, Yeh CY, Tsai T, Chiang CP. Successful treatment of oral verrucous hyperplasia and oral leukoplakia with topical 5-aminolevulinic acid-mediated photodynamic therapy. Lasers Surg Med. 2005;37(2):114–122.
- Aghahosseini F, Arbabi-Kalati F, Fashtami LA, Fateh M, Djavid GE. Treatment of oral lichen planus with photodynamic therapy mediated methylene blue: A case report. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal. 2006;11(2):E126–E129.
- Rhodes LE, de Rie M, Enström Y, et al. Photodynamic therapy using topical methyl aminolevulinate vs surgery for nodular basal cell carcinoma: Results of a multicenter randomized prospective trial. Arch Dermatol. 2004;140(1):17–23.
- Leibovitch I, Huilgol SC, Selva D, Richards S, Paver R. Basal cell carcinoma treated with Mohs surgery in Australia II. Outcome at 5-year follow-up. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;53(3):452–457.
- Mosterd K, Krekels GA, Nieman FH, et al. Surgical excision versus Mohs’ micrographic surgery for primary and recurrent basal-cell carcinoma of the face: A prospective randomised controlled trial with 5-years’ follow-up. Lancet Oncol. 2008;9(12):1149–1156.
- Smeets NW, Kuijpers DI, Nelemans P, et al. Mohs’ micrographic surgery for treatment of basal cell carcinoma of the face – results of a retrospective study and review of the literature. Br J Dermatol. 2004;151(1):141–147.
- Roozeboom MH, Aardoom MA, Nelemans PJ, et al. Fractionated 5-aminolevulinic acid photodynamic therapy after partial debulking versus surgical excision for nodular basal cell carcinoma: A randomized controlled trial with at least 5-year follow-up. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2013;69(2):280–287.
- Rhodes LE, de Rie MA, Leifsdottir R, et al. Five-year follow-up of a randomized, prospective trial of topical methyl aminolevulinate photodynamic therapy vs surgery for nodular basal cell carcinoma. Arch Dermatol. 2007;143(9):1131–1136.
- Bath-Hextall FJ, Perkins W, Bong J, Williams HC. Interventions for basal cell carcinoma of the skin. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007;24(1):CD003412.
- Williams HC, Bath-Hextall FJ, Ozolins M, et al. Surgery versus 5% imiquimod for nodular and superficial basal cell carcinoma: 5-year results of the SINS randomized controlled trial. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137(3):614–619.
- Arits AH, Mosterd K, Essers BA, et al. Photodynamic therapy versus topical imiquimod versus topical fluorouracil for treatment of superficial basal-cell carcinoma: A single blind, non-inferiority, randomized controlled trial. Lancet Oncol. 2013;14(7):647–654.
- Romagosa R, Saap L, Givens M, et al. A pilot study to evaluate the treatment of basal cell carcinoma with 5-fluorouracil using phosphatidylcholine as a transepidermal carrier. Dermatol Surg. 2000;26(4):338–340.
- Basset-Seguin N, Hauschild A, Grob JJ, et al. Vismodegib in patients with advanced basal cell carcinoma (STEVIE): A pre-planned interim analysis of an international, open label trial. Lancet Oncol. 2015;16(6):729–736.
- Rizzo JM, Segal RJ, Zeitouni NC. Combination vismodegib and photodynamic therapy for multiple basal cell carcinomas. Photodiagnosis Photodyn Ther. 2018;21:58–62.
- Nakayama M, Tabuchi K, Nakamura Y, Hara A. Basal cell carcinoma of the head and neck. J Skin Cancer. 2011;2011:496910.
- Basset-Seguin N, Ibbotson SH, Emtestam L, et al. Topical methyl aminolaevulinate photodynamic therapy versus cryotherapy for superficial basal cell carcinoma: A 5 year randomized trial. Eur J Dermatol. 2008;18(5):547–553.
- August PJ. Cryotherapy of nonmelanoma skin cancer. Clin Dermatol. 1995;13(6):589–592.
- Ceilley RI, Del Rosso JQ. Current modalities and new advances in the treatment of basal cell carcinoma. Int J Dermatol. 2006;45(5):489–498.
- Kim SA, Lee KS, Cho JW. Photodynamic therapy combined with cryotherapy for the treatment of nodular basal cell carcinoma. Oncol Lett. 2013;6(4):939–941.